Sunday, June 6, 2010

How do I do it?

Tonight someone said to me, echoing what I've heard from many others, "I don't know how you do it" (it=the juggling I do with family and work and school and friends and volunteering, etc.). I never quite know what to say to that, because as anyone else with lots on his or her plate will agree, you just do 'it'. There isn't usually an option to not do 'it'.

I am always flattered and not a little embarrassed when this is said to me, because 1. I have a great partner in Jim who helps make my life a joy and 2. I don't always do 'it' very well.

Let's look at #1. My amazing husband is truly an equal partner in all of 'it'. He is with the kids as much as I am. He does cooking and cleaning and garbage duty and laundry. He pays bills. He supports me and encourages me and is, basically, a selfless, generous man. I am absurdly blessed in my marriage and I should probably thank God a little more often for His wondrous gift of Jim.

Now, on to #2. I feel like I'm somewhat like Holly Golightly (I think she's the right movie character), who emerges from a messy apartment looking totally put together. That's my house and my appearance. I may look mostly put together, but it probably took some panicked searching and extra minutes moving piles and staying up too late to get things done.

Yes, I seem to hold 'it' together, but it's often with string and duct tape.

Peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment